We surprised our daughter with “Louie” for her birthday. My kids have always wanted a dog, but I have never given in to the desire. It always sounds fun, but then I talk myself out of it. I am a pretty logical person. Always thinking about the things that would make me not want a dog. For some reason, those things didn’t seem as important recently. I thought if we were ever going to get a dog, now would be the time.
HOLY CRAP! THIS PUPPY STUFF IS CRAZY! There are moments (many) where I wish I had listened harder to that logical side of myself. I honestly had NO IDEA how difficult puppies are! I talked to lots of people and no one told me it was like having a newborn. Why did they not tell me?! All the biting, jumping, and running around with crazy energy was not what I was expecting. It is cold here and I can’t wear long pants without getting teeth marks in them. Thank goodness this puppy is so cute. Waking up super early to take him outside is a little better with all that sweet fluffiness to cuddle up to. I have learned a lot about myself these last two weeks.
1. I LOVE my sleep! I think I already knew that, but it has been proven these last two weeks.
2. I like to be in control of things around me. Puppies are hard to control! We are enrolled in a puppy class that starts this weekend. I am hoping that will help me get some control of this fluffy thing! But I have a feeling, the real lesson here is that we never really have control, do we? I just thought that I did and Louie is teaching me otherwise.
3. I still have a temper. I thought I had better control of that, but bringing such an uncontrollable thing into my life made me realize it was still there. Ugh…will have to work on that one.
4. I will go through A LOT for the happiness of my children. My daughter is in love with Louie! Seeing her so happy, makes me happy.
5. When I am responsible for a “new” living thing, I become a little crazy! I was so worried that I was doing the right thing with the dog that my stomach hurt for the whole first week. I didn’t feel like I could go anywhere or do anything except puppy stuff. I actually lost 3 pounds! Week two is getting better and I hope it just keeps heading that way.
|It’s hard to get a clear shot because he is never still!
|These are the moments that make it all worth while!
So I am curious if you have a pet…what kind of pet is it? Do you take it with you on your travels or board it? Would love to hear your story.